Texas Roadhouse Keto Options for Low Carb Diets
Is there anything more delicious than a well-prepared steak? The smell alone gets your juices flowing. Add in the texture, the tender juiciness, the umami (you know, the fifth taste. It’s the thing that makes the difference between broth and plain old salt water.), and it adds up to an experience that is very primitive, and very satisfying.
Texas takes steak seriously, but the Texas Roadhouse did not get its start there. Back in 1993, the original restaurant opened in, of all places, Indiana. But Texans still love it; there are more than 50 restaurants just in the Lone Star State. People all over the world love Texas Roadhouse. There are locations in every state except Hawaii, and several more internationally, including Europe, the Middle East and Asia.
A steak house makes it easy on keto eaters, and Texas Roadhouse is famous for its generous portions with prices that won’t put a big dent in your wallet. Even if you’re not in the mood for a slab of beef, there’s plenty of other keto-compatible choices on the menu.
Nutrition information for Texas Roadhouse is available online, but we’ve gathered the best options for you here.
Low Carb Appetizers at Texas Roadhouse
When was the last time you got a keto-friendly appetizer that was free? Texas Roadhouse serves all-you-can-eat peanuts (4 net carbs per oz.) as soon as you walk through the door. Even more fun, you get to chuck the shells on the floor, if you feel like it. As for the appetizers that are on the menu, you still have some good options. No exact carb counts available for modified items.
- Grilled Shrimp – Pass on the toast but enjoy the garlic-lemon-pepper butter dip guilt-free.
- House Salad (7 net carbs) This includes croutons. Ask to leave them off and get your carbs down to near zero.
- Caesar salad (9 net carbs) That count includes the croutons. Omit them and you’ll greatly reduce your carb count. (39g fat, 8g protein)
- Chili, cup (12 net carbs) Not a usual pick and a little high, but it shouldn’t wreck your keto. (16g fat, 21g protein)
Keto-Friendly Steaks at Texas Roadhouse
Texas Roadhouse takes its meat seriously. Every restaurant has its own butcher, so you can get virtually any cut of steak you like for very few carbs. Pair it with some greens like broccoli or a salad, and you’re golden. The steak sauce is pretty sugary, 6 net carbs per tablespoon; enjoy your steak au naturel. Following is just a sample of your many options:
- Ft. Worth Ribeye, 10 oz. (0 net carbs, 60g fat, 65g protein)
- Porterhouse T-Bone, 23 oz. (0 net carbs, 54g fat, 139g protein)
- Prime Rib, 10 oz. (0 net carbs, 59g fat, 62g protein)
- NY Strip, 8 oz, (0.5 net carbs, 22g fat, 57g protein)
- USDA Sirloin, 6 oz. (2 net carbs, 6g fat, 46g protein)
- Road Kill (4 net carbs) Who can say no to a name like that? It includes cheese, sautéed onions and mushrooms. (53g fat, 54g protein)
- Dallas Filet, 6 oz. (4 net carbs, 10g fat, 45g protein)
Steak Smothers at Texas Roadhouse for Ketogenic Dieters
Counts are for steaks that are 11 oz. or smaller. Adjust up accordingly for larger orders.
- Jack cheese, 1 oz. (0 net carbs, 8g fat, 7g protein)
- Hatch Green Chilis (1 net carb, 7g fat, 0g protein) Note this count is for chili peppers, not the Chili Sauce which contains 11 net carbs.
- Sautéed Mushrooms, 3.5 oz. (2.5 net carbs, 5g fat, 2g protein)
- Brown Gravy, 2 oz. (3 net carbs, 6g fat, 0.5g protein)
- Au Jus sauce, 3 oz. (3.5 net carbs, 2g fat, 0.5g protein)
Keto-Compatible Ribs at Texas Roadhouse
A half-slab will run you 6 net carbs, 51g fat, 72g protein, and nearly 1000 calories. (Yes, it is possible, if not advisable, to order a full slab.)
Low Carb Chicken Specialities at Texas Roadhouse
As far as keto goes, four legs are considered better than two, but chicken works just fine if that’s what you’re in the mood for.
- Portobello Mushroom Chicken (3 net carbs, 19g fat, 59g protein)
- Smothered Chicken topped with Jack Cheese (4 net carbs, 19g fat, 55g protein)
- Oven-Roasted Half-Chicken (6.5 net carbs, 9g fat, 55g protein)
- Smothered Chicken topped with Cream Gravy (8 net carbs, 18g fat, 50g protein)
- Grilled BBQ Chicken (8 net carbs, 3.5g fat, 46g protein)
Combos at Texas Roadhouse for the Keto Diet
Any of the other items on the list work for the combo plates. Here are just a few of your options:
- 6oz. Filet with Ribs (9 net carbs, 49g fat, 90g protein)
- Grilled BBQ Chicken with 6oz. Sirloin (10 net carbs, 10g fat, 92g protein)
- Ribs with Grilled BBQ Chicken (13 net carbs, 43g fat, 91g protein)
- Ribeye, 12oz. with Ribs (13 net carbs, 46g fat, 122g protein)
Keto-Friendly Country Dinners at Texas Roadhouse
- Beef Tips – Request to replace the potatoes or rice with a green vegetable and enjoy.
- Grilled Pork Chop, single (3 net carbs) The optional peppercorn brown sauce is a little carb-y, 5 net. (12g fat, 41g protein)
Dockside Favorites at Texas Roadhouse for Low Carb Diets
- Grilled Salmon, 5oz. (0.5 net carbs, 24g fat, 27g protein)
- Grilled Shrimp, no rice – Ask for greens instead of rice.
Keto-Friendly Burgers and Sandwiches at Texas Roadhouse
A burger without the bun is a always a keto crowd pleaser. Cheese and bacon won’t add much in the way of carbs. Just avoid any sugary sauces, like BBQ or Smokehouse. Pulled pork is out; the sauce is too sugary. Add avocado to any burger for only 1 net carb. Carb counts not available for modified orders.
The Mushroom and Jack Chicken Sandwich, minus the bread, works fine for keto.
Sides at Texas Roadhouse on Keto
- Sautéed Mushrooms (3.5 net carbs, 7g fat, 0.5g protein)
- Rib Sidekick (4 net carbs, 39g fat, 44g protein)
- House Salad, no dressing (7 net carbs) Count includes croutons, which you’ll pass on, and save significantly on carbs. (16g fat, 13g protein)
- Caesar Salad, includes dressing and croutons (9 net carbs) Your count will be lower since you’ll be passing on the carb-y croutons.
Keto-Compatible Main Course Salads at Texas Roadhouse
Keto eaters need their greens, and salads are a great way to get your daily dose of micronutrients and fiber. All of the salads come with croutons, so ask your server to omit them (or pull them out yourself). Carb counts not available for modified items.
- California Chicken Salad, no dressing (9 net carbs, 41g fat, 78g protein)
- Grilled Salmon Salad, no dressing (11 net carbs, 53g fat, 66g protein)
- Grilled Chicken Salad, no dressing (13 net carbs, 45g fat, 85g protein) Remember, this count includes the croutons, so your actual count will be much lower. This salad also includes onions and tomatoes which you can pick around to save a carb or two.
- Chicken Caesar Salad, includes dressing (14 net carbs, 81g fat, 63g protein)
- Steakhouse Filet Salad – Pass on the croutons (and maybe the onions and tomatoes) and pick a low-carb dressing (listed below).
Ketogenic Diet-Friendly Dressings at Texas Roadhouse
Salad dressing can be a real carb nightmare. Steer clear of anything with ‘Honey’ in its name. All counts are for 2oz. of dressing.
- Low-Fat Ranch (2 net carbs) Keto eaters don’t usually go for diet dressing because the fat is often replaced by sugar. This isn’t the case here. (20g fat, 2g protein)
- Bleu Cheese (4 net carbs, 30g fat, 2g protein)
- Caesar (4 net carbs, 32g fat, 2g protein)
What to Drink at Texas Roadhouse for Low Carb Eaters
Water, coffee, tea, iced tea (unsweetened), diet soda if you must. A glass of red wine or light beer will run you about 5 net carbs.
Dining out should always be an enjoyable experience and keto eaters have no reason to feel deprived or left out, no matter the venue. It’s important to remember that this type of food can be very high in calories but low on nutrition and should only be eaten occasionally.