Shake Shack Keto Options for Low Carb Diets
I don’t know about you, but a place called ‘Shake Shack,’ conjures up images of a Love Shack with food, in other words, lots of fun — although maybe not so much for keto eaters. Don’t sweat it; they serve burgers, and getting to enjoy a juicy burger guilt-free is one of the best things about following the keto diet.
The Shake Shack had a humble beginning. It started out as a simple vendor cart in Madison Square Park, selling hot dogs and shakes to support an art installation. It lost money for the first three years of operation, but still managed to stick it out and the first permanent stall opened in 2004.
Fun fact: Shake Shack has a menu for dogs! (This is less surprising when you consider it got its start at a park.)
Shake Shack is all about quality ingredients. It cares about humane faming methods and the environment generally, and so it shuns things like hormones and antibiotics. Shake Shack’s nutrition information is listed online, but it is not customizable. In order to calculate your macros, you will have to do some math, or just read on for your best bets.
Keto-Compatible Burgers at Shake Shack
Shake Shack doesn’t fool around: 100% Angus beef, no hormones, no antibiotics. The burger itself has 0 net carbs. Order yours “protein-style” and you won’t have to waste — or be tempted by — the bun.
- Hamburger, single (0 net carbs, 21g fat, 24g protein)
- Hamburger, double (0 net carbs, 38g fat, 42g protein)
- Cheeseburger, single (1 net carb, 26g fat, 28g protein)
- Cheeseburger, double (1 net carb, 49g fat, 49g protein)
- Bacon Cheeseburger, single (1 net carb, 31g fat, 35g protein)
- Bacon Cheeseburger, double (1 net carb, 54g fat, 56g protein)
- ShackBurger®, single (2 net carbs) Their special mayo and cheese-based sauce makes this one an instant classic. (37g fat, 28g protein)
- ShackBurger®, double (2 net carbs, 60g fat, 49g protein)
- SmokeShack®, single(1 net carb) A bacon cheeseburger, plus cherry peppers and their signature sauce. (42g fat, 35g protein)
- SmokeShack®, double (2 net carbs) Double the deliciousness. (65g fat, 56g protein)
The ‘Shroom Burger comes in a little high at 10 net carbs.
Low Carb Toppings at Shake Shack
- ShackSauce™ (0 net carbs, 11g fat, 0g protein)
- Applewood Smoked Bacon, 2 slices (0 net carbs, 5g fat, 7g protein)
- Lettuce (0 net carbs, 0g fat, 0g protein)
- Cherry Peppers (0 net carbs, 0g fat, 0g protein)
- Cheese (1 net carb, 4g fat, 4g protein)
- Tomato (1 net carb, 0g protein, 0g fat)
- Pickle (1 net carb, 0g fat, 0g protein)
- Onion (1 net carb, 0g fat, 0g protein)
Keto-Friendly Chicken at Shake Shack
Their chicken is 100% all-natural, cage-free, no hormones or antibiotics, but at the time of this writing, all of the items on the menu are breaded, so unless you can find one that offers a grilled option, this one is a pass.
Hot Dogs at Shake Shack for Low Carb Diets
100% all-natural Vienna beef, hormone and antibiotic-free, split, griddled and crispy, these dogs are hot in more ways than one. They’re also the way Shake Shack got its start.
- Hot Dog (1 net carb, 15g fat, 16g protein)
- Chicken Dog (3 net carbs) Apple is the culprit here, but it’s not too high if this Shake Shack exclusive with sage appeals. (11g fat, 20g protein)
- Shack-cago Dog® (5 net carbs) They take the dog and “drag it through the garden,” adding a variety of veggies like onions, tomatoes and pickle relish. Not the lowest as far as carbs, but it shouldn’t kill your keto either. (20g fat, 16g protein)
Keto-Compatible Hot Dog Add-Ons
- Cheese Sauce (1 net carb, 4g fat, 2g protein)
- Rick’s Picks Shack Relish (2 net carbs, 0g fat, 0g protein)
Breakfast at Shake Shack for Ketogenic Dieters
Breakfast food is super easy for keto eaters. eggs, bacon, sausage, cheese, just pass on the bun and you’re golden. Eggs are cage-free and the pork sausage is all-natural.
- Bacon Breakfast Sandwich, no bun (1 net carb) Add a second egg for 0 extra carbs. (18-25g fat, 24-30g protein)
- Egg and Cheese Breakfast Sandwich (1 net carb) Double up on the egg without adding any carbs. (13-20g fat, 17-23g protein)
- Sausage Breakfast Sandwich, no bun (3 net carbs) The extra egg adds0 extra carbs. (29-36g fat, 28-34g protein)
What to Drink at Shake Shack on the Keto Diet
Water (a percentage of their Shack20 bottled water supports clean water initiatives around the world), hot or iced coffee (unsweetened), iced tea (unsweetened), or diet soda if you can’t resist. Some Shake Shacks also serves alcohol. A glass of white wine is 3 net carbs; red will run you about 4. These are your best bet for alcoholic beverages.
Keto eaters can dine pretty much anywhere and enjoy themselves. Keep in mind that despite all the care places like Shake Shack takes to provide fresh, quality ingredients, fast food is still high in things like calories and sodium, and therefore should not be eaten on a regular basis.