Low Carb Bonefish Grill Options for Keto Diets
Although we keto eaters generally like to get our protein from four-legged critters, there are lots of reasons to give seafood a try. It’s high in omega-3 fatty acids; it has tons of vitamins and minerals; and much of it is low-carb — although there are some exceptions. (Mussels, we’re looking at you.)
The Bonefish Grill offers an appealing atmosphere along with freshly-prepared food and a knowledgable, attentive waitstaff. Bonefish is famous for serving unusual fish, up to eight different varieties every day.
Bonefish has a social conscience. They are concerned about environmental issues and actively seek out sustainable fisheries and those who use best practices for fishing.
Opened in St. Petersburg, Florida in the year 2000, the Bonefish Grill was bought by Bloomin’ Brands, the same corporation that owns Outback and Carrabba’s, amongst other chains. Today, there are over 200 Bonefish Grills in 28 states.
Bonefish has a gluten-free menu which can help eliminate unwanted carbs, and their nutrition information is available online. But read on. We’ve gathered all your best keto picks right here.
Low Carb Starters & Sharing at Bonefish Grill
Made from scratch daily but a little carb-y. Definitely want to pass the plate with these.
- Ahi Tuna Sashimi, Regular (9 net carbs) Sesame-seared and served with wasabi and pickled ginger, a nice keto treat. (17g fat, 35g protein)
- Maryland-Style Crab Cakes (13 net carbs) Yes, some breading is involved here, but it’s not over the top if you watch your carbs for the rest of the meal. Share and cut your carbs down — if you can bear to. (94g fat, 41g protein)
- Wagyu Beef, no Potstickers – No exact count on the carbs without the potstickers, but the pan-seared American version of Kobe beef won’t do your diet any harm.
Keto-Friendly Grilled Fish at Bonefish Grill
Lots of low-carb choices here.
- Ahi Tuna Steak (0 net carbs) ‘Ahi’ is Hawaiian for yellow-fin tuna. Rich in omega-3s, protein, and a whole slew of vitamins and minerals. (4g fat, 46g protein)
- Atlantic Salmon, Regular (0 net carbs) Salmon is a keto superfood. Zero carbs, high fat, and chock full of vitamins. Also comes in a ‘small’ portion if you’re not too hungry. (27g fat, 53g protein)
- Caribbean Cobia, Regular (0 net carbs) A firm fish with a mild flavor, incredible with cream and rum butter sauce. This one you can also order ‘small’ for days when you have less of an appetite. (34g fat, 44g protein)
- Chilean Sea Bass (0 net carbs) Another popular fatty fish. (40g fat, 31g protein)
- Rainbow Trout (0 net carbs) Along with all the good stuff like protein and omega-3s, trout is rich in potassium, an important but undervalued mineral. (20g fat, 57g protein)
- Georges Bank Scallops and Shrimp (4 net carbs) Georges Bank is the area of North America that extends from around Cape Cod up to Nova Scotia. (9g fat, 38g protein)
Keto-Compatible Entrée Add-Ons at Bonefish Grill
Not your usual choices. Hooray.
- Lemon Butter (0 net carbs, 16g fat, 0g protein)
- Chimichurri Sauce (0.5 net carbs) Part spicy, part creamy, totally delicious. (14g fat 0.5g protein)
- Wood-Grill Shrimp Skewer (2.5 net carbs, 9g fat, 15g protein)
- Cold Water Lobster Tail (2.5 net carbs, 25g fat, 17g protein)
- Lime Tomato Garlic (3 net carbs, 16g fat, 0.5g protein)
- Pan Asian Sauce (5.5 net carbs) A little on the carb-y side, but if the rest of your meal is low, you can afford it. (10g fat, 0g protein)
Low Carb Seafood Specialities at Bonefish Grill
As you can imagine, this is where Bonefish shines. Bonefish also has daily specials, so don’t be shy; ask how the food is prepared. (They’re probably thrilled to tell you anyway.) So long as it isn’t swimming in sugary sauce or breading, you’ll be okay.
- Lobster Tail, 1, with butter (2.5 net carbs) Talk about a keto treat. (25g fat, 17g protein)
- Dynamite-Style Shrimp (5.5 net carbs) Wood-grilled and topped with spicy aioli and Feta cheese. (48g fat, 32g protein)
- Imperial-Style Wild Arctic Cod (6 net carbs, 33g fat, 55g protein)
- Cod Piccata (8 net carbs) Cod is a lean fish and so not a typical keto choice, but the lemon-butter Piccata sauce brings it up to snuff. (42g fat, 37g protein)
- Pecan Parmesan-Crusted Rainbow Trout (9 net carbs) The name says it all. (64g fat, 58g protein)
- Maryland-Style Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes (13 net carbs) Not available in all regions, but you can bet they get snapped up where you can get ’em. (36g fat, 31g protein)
From the Land at Bonefish Grill for Keto Eaters
Not a seafood fan? Bonefish has you covered.
- Filet Mignon, 6oz. (0 net carbs) Also available in 8oz. for zero extra carbs. (9g fat, 41g protein) You can add a crab cake for 10 net carbs, 19g fat, and 7g protein.
- Bone-In Ribeye Steak, 18oz. (0.5 net carbs) Low on carbs but not on calories. This piece of meat has over 1000. (93g fat, 78g protein)
- The Angler’s Sirloin Steak, 6oz. (1 net carb) You can also add a crab cake to the sirloin (counts listed with filet mignon). (5g fat, 41g protein)
Ketogenic Diet-Friendly Handhelds at Bonefish Grill
Bonefish doesn’t serve burgers, they serve ‘handhelds.’ Don’t be put off by the name or the restaurant’s emphasis on seafood. Their Wagyu beef burger gets top marks from serious burgerologists.*
No exact carb count for the burger without the bun, but it will be low (the one thing that adds a few carbs is their ‘special sauce,’ a mix of mayo, ketchup and relish). You can add bacon (0 net carbs) or avocado (1 net carb).
*Burgerology will soon be offered as a major in the California State University system.**
Sides at the Bonefish Grill for Low Carb Diets
These aren’t going to set the house on fire with their uniqueness, but still solid picks for keto.
- Steamed Asparagus (2 net carbs, 3g fat, 2g protein)
- Green Beans (1 net carb, 8g fat, 2g protein)
- Steamed Broccoli (5 net carbs, 8g fat, 3g protein)
Coleslaw runs a little high at 9 net carbs.
Keto-Compatible Greens & Soups at Bonefish Grill
A salad is a great way to fill up on fiber and get your micronutrients. Soup isn’t a typical keto pick, but sometimes it hits the spot.
- Caesar Salad, with dressing, no croutons – No exact carb count sans croutons, but it’ll be under 5. (41g fat, 12g protein)
- House Salad, side (9 net carbs) Comes with olives, palm hearts and a citrus-herb vinaigrette, not your typical house salad. You can also order it as a main course. Add 3 net carbs if you do. (17g fat, 6g protein)
- Corn Chowder + Lump Crab, cup (9 net carbs) With bacon. An unusual keto pick due to the corn, but if the rest of your meal is near 0, you can go for it. Did we mention it has bacon in it? (10g fat, 5g protein)
Low Carb Salad Add-Ons at Bonefish Grill
- Wood-Grilled Chicken (0 net carbs, 5g fat, 52g protein)
- Wood-Grilled Salmon (0 net carbs,16g fat, 31g protein)
- Blue Cheese (1 net carb, 9g fat, 6g protein)
- Feta Cheese (2 net carbs, 9g fat, 6g protein)
- Wood-Grilled Shrimp (2.5 net carbs, 9g fat, 15g protein)
Brunch at Bonefish Grill for the Keto Diet
Keto eaters love restaurants that serve breakfast food. Eggs, bacon, and steak are all super low on carbs. As you might expect, the Bonefish Grill offers fancier ingredients than your typical fare. They’re still keto-friendly, and they elevate brunch to a whole other level.
No exact carb counts available for modified orders so stick with your basics of meat, cheese, eggs and veggies and you’ll do fine.
- Eggs Benedict, Filet Mignon and Lobster, no English Muffin – Hollandaise sauce can be a little carb-y, but it shouldn’t kill your keto. You can also get the traditional version with ham. The Bang Bang Shrimp version is tasty, but carbier.
- Half-Pound Beef Burger and Egg, with greens, no bun – A burger is a real keto treat and this one won’t disappoint: sharp Cheddar, fried egg, and their ‘special’ sauce (a mix of mayo, ketchup, and relish). You can definitely save carbs by passing on the sauce, although it may be the penultimate experience without. Be aware this burger runs almost 1,500 calories.
- California Omelet, no toast (7 net carbs) Bacon, avocado and Cheddar cheese make this one a winner. If you want to save a few carbs, you can ask to hold the tomatoes and caramelized onions. (37g fat fat, 30g protein)
- Oscar Omelet, no toast (5 net carbs) Crab, asparagus, lemon butter, and basil. Brunch just got fancy. (34g fat, 26g protein)
Ketogenic-Friendly Brunch Sides at Bonefish Grill
An easy decision for keto eaters:
- Steamed Asparagus (2 net carbs) A veggie that should definitely be eaten more often. (3g fat, 0g protein)
- Avocado (0 net carbs) A great keto burger add-on. (4.5g fat, 0g protein)
- Bacon (0 net carbs) Another burger add-on. (4.5g fat, 4g protein)
- Mushrooms (0.5 net carbs) A third add-on for your burger. (2.5g fat, 0.5g protein)
What to Drink at Bonefish Grill for Low Carb Eaters
Water, coffee, tea, unsweetened iced tea or diet soda if you can’t resist. Bonefish serves Coke products. A cappuccino (without sugar) will run you 5 net carbs. The Bonefish Grill has a full bar. Your best keto bets are a light beer or glass of red wine, which will be about 5 carbs.
Following a keto diet should never mean missing out and the Bonefish Grill has lots of great options on the regular menu, to the point where you don’t even have to ask for special accommodations. Even though restaurants like Bonefish serve fresh food, it can still be high in calories and therefore should only be indulged in occasionally.