Jersey Mike’s Keto Options for Low Carb Diets
Jersey Mike’s has a great story. CEO Peter Cancro started working at Mike’s sub shop when he was fourteen. After overhearing a conversation that the owners were planning to sell the business, he asked his football coach to help him figure out how to get a bank loan. He bought the place when he was only seventeen.
Sandwiches aren’t on the menu when you’re eating keto, but if it’s all you can find or that’s where your friends are headed, don’t sweat it. Jersey Mike’s makes it easy because all their sandwiches can be ordered ‘in a tub,’ meaning you don’t even have to feel bad about tossing the roll because the fillings will be served like a salad. Still, it’s always best to be prepared. Jersey Mike’s has nutrition information online or use the list below so you can plan ahead.
Cold Cuts at Jersey Mike’s for the Ketogenic Diet
All of Jersey Mike’s cold subs in a tub are keto-compatible. Following are the lower-carb options.
- California Dreamin’ (5 net carbs, 7g fat, 22g protein)
- Chicken Salad (6 net carbs, 47g fat, 16g protein)
- BLT (6 net carbs, 21g fat, 12g protein)
- Roast Beef & Provolone (7 net carbs, 21.5g fat, 46g protein)
- American Classic (9 net carbs, 12.5g fat, 26g protein)
- Jersey Shore Favorite (10 net carbs, 12.5g fat, 26g protein)
- Club Sub (10 net carbs, 43g fat, 34g protein)
- Super Sub (11 net carbs, 13g fat, 28g protein)
- Original Italian comes in the highest at 12 net carbs.
- Add cheese for 1 net carb to any sandwich.
Low Carb Condiments at Jersey Mike’s
All counts listed are for Regular. Jersey Mike’s is famous for fresh ingredients and a secret sauce called ‘The Juice,’ which you order ‘Mike’s Way.’ But be warned: this sauce contains carbs (6 net for a Regular, 3 for Mini and a whopping 19 for a Giant). Your waistline will definitely be happier with other condiments like mayo or oil and vinegar.
- Vinegar (0 net carbs, 28g fat, 0g protein)
- Oil (0 net carbs, 28g fat, 0g protein)
- Sprinklings (0 net carbs, 58g fat, 0g protein)
- Mustard (0 net carbs, 0g fat, 0g protein)
- Dill Pickle (0 net carbs, 0g fat, 0g protein)
- Banana Peppers (0 net carbs, 0g fat, 0g protein)
- Jalapeño Peppers (0 net carbs, 0g fat, 0g protein)
- Hot Cherry Pepper Relish (0 net carbs, 0g fat, 0g protein)
- Mayo (1 net carb, 28g fat, 0g protein)
- Lettuce (2 net carbs, 0g fat, 0g protein)
- Tomatoes (2 net carbs, 0g fat, 1g protein)
- Avocado (3 net carbs, 6g fat, 2g protein)
How To Order Keto-Friendly Hot Sandwiches at Jersey Mike’s
Most of the hot subs are acceptable for keto, if slightly higher in carb count than the cold subs. Here are the lowest-carb hot options. Remember to order them ‘in a tub.’
- Grilled Chicken (9 net carbs, 30g fat, 31g protein)
- Pastrami & Swiss (11 net carbs, 18.5g fat, 34g protein)
- Steak Bacon Ranch Cheesesteak (11 net carbs, 50.5g fat, 39g protein)
- California Cheesesteak (12 net carbs) Add some fiber in the form of lettuce and tomato to your cheesesteak. (46g fat, 37g protein)
- Steak Philly (13 net carbs, 27g fat, 35 g protein)
- Reuben (13 net carbs, 22g fat, 29g protein)
- Big Kahuna (14 net carbs) This one adds onions, peppers and mushrooms to the regular Philly cheesesteak, but only one net carb, so if you’ve got a hankering, it won’t cost you much carb-wise. (31g fat, 39g protein)
The meatballs contain gluten if you are looking to avoid all grains and/or allergies are a concern. (10 net carbs, 39.5g fat, 27g protein)
Chipotle Chicken comes in a little high at 16 net carbs, but doable if it’s what you really want.
Chicken Big Kahuna has the same carb count.
Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteak sounds like it’s good for keto but it actually contains a fair amount of sugar and 18 net carbs. The steak version has 16 net carbs.
Add bacon or extra meat to all the hot subs for no extra carbs.
Add cheese for 1-2 net carbs.
Hot Subs to Avoid at Jersey Mike’s for Keto Dieters
- Teriyaki Chicken Cheesesteak (24 net carbs) The sauce is the culprit.
- The BBQ Beef (38 net carbs) Another sugary sauce.
The Tossed Salad is generally only available through catering at Jersey Mike’s, but it’s fine so long as you pick out any croutons. The dressing choices are okay too, the highest being Russian which comes in at 4 net carbs.
Keto-Compatible Breakfast at Jersey Mike’s
Eggs, bacon, sausage and ham are all keto-friendly. The only thing you’ll want to skip is the roll. Can’t hurt to ask for ‘breakfast in a tub.’
Low Carb Drink Options at Jersey Mike’s
Water, coffee, hot tea, unsweetened iced tea, or diet soda if you can’t help yourself. Jersey Mike’s serve Pepsi products, so things like diet Sierra Mist, diet Mug Root Beer, diet Tropicana Twister will be available.
Eating keto is not only possible, but enjoyable at most restaurants, and Jersey Mike’s is no exception. Keep in mind that, even though they use better quality ingredients, this is still fast food and should not make up a significant portion of any healthy diet.