Fuzzy’s Low Carb Options For Keto Dieters
Fuzzy’s is one of those ultra-charming places whose cuteness grabs from the first and doesn’t let go. From their motto “It’s taco’clock somewhere” to their webpage entitled, “Welcome to your new addiction,” it’s hard to resist Fuzzy’s.
Their history is, um, a little fuzzy, but apparently the dream began back in the early 2000s: it would be a place where the tacos were hot and the drinks were cold, and people could bring their dogs and hang out all day… Fuzzy’s developed a cult-like following and today there are more than 100 locations spread across the country.
Which is great, but with all that rice, those beans and tortillas — not to mention sugarbomb margaritas — what’s a keto-eater to do? One thing is for sure, Fuzzy’s would never want you to stress about it. Most restaurants offer keto-compatible options and Fuzzy’s is no exception.
Fuzzy’s lists nutrition information online under each item, but the menu is not customizable, meaning you can’t calculate your macros with any precision when you omit ingredients like rice or tortillas. But don’t worry; be happy. Stick to your basics of meat, cheese and veggies, and read on for our recommendations.
Low Carb Starters at Fuzzy’s
The chips are out but there’s no rule against eating guacamole, queso (with or without beef or chorizo) or salsa with a spoon.
Drunken Pig Soup (12 net carbs) Soup isn’t a typical keto pick, and this one is a touch high, but if you have a hankering or it’s cold outside, this one shouldn’t kill your keto. (21g fat, 22g protein)
Keto-Compatible Tacos at Fuzzy’s
Who doesn’t love tacos? Fuzzy’s takes it to the next level with unexpected fillings like grilled shrimp and feta. Other than the tortilla shell, the thing to avoid is the tempura (anything battered), but there are still plenty of choices. Nutritional information not available for modified items.
- Shredded Chicken, with shell (11 net carbs) Ditch the corn tortilla and get your carbs down significantly. (13g fat, 16g protein)
- Spicy Pork, with shell (11 net carbs, 15g fat, 13g protein)
- Grilled Fish, with shell (11 net carbs, 17g fat, 20g protein)
- Grilled Shrimp, with shell (11 net carbs, 16g fat, 16g protein)
- Fajita Chicken, with shell (11 net carbs, 15g fat, 16g protein)
- Shredded Brisket, with shell (12 net carbs, 14g fat, 17g protein)
- Special Ground Beef, with shell (12 net carbs, 14g fat, 14g protein)
- Fajita Beef, with shell (12 net carbs, 17g fat, 16g protein)
Keto-Friendly Salads at Fuzzy’s
Lettuce is a great way to satisfy your craving for something crunchy while still eating healthy and low-carb — not to mention add fiber and micronutrients to your diet. Ask to leave off the tortilla strips and you’ll save significantly on carbs. Once again, you’ll want to avoid the tempura because that means it is breaded. Macro counts are listed for a complete salad with all ingredients. Carb counts do not include dressing.
- Shredded Chicken (15 net carbs) Count includes tortilla strips, which you will have the strength to pass on. (20g fat, 44g protein)
- Grilled Fish (15 net carbs) Feta is an unusual but delightful topping. (26g fat, 40g protein)
- Fajita Chicken (15 net carbs, 23g fat, 33g protein)
- Shredded Brisket (16 net carbs) Once again, we keto-eaters are so strong, we don’t even consider eating the carby tortilla strips. You can also ask to leave off the onions, but they probably don’t amount to too much carb-wise. (23g fat, 49g protein)
- Fajita Beef (17 net carbs) Your carb count won’t be this high because you’re going to skip the tortilla strips. (26g fat, 32g protein)
Low Carb Dressings at Fuzzy’s
Salad dressing is one of those things you need to pay attention to due to hidden carbs, and you definitely want to watch it here. Your best bets are:
- House Vinaigrette (4 net carbs, 35g fat, 5g protein)
- Avocado Ranch (6 net carbs, 34g fat, 3g protein)
Burrito Bowls at Fuzzy’s for Ketogenic Dieters
Burrito bowls are the way to go to enjoy all the filling without wasting — or feeling tempted by — the tortilla. You’ll have to skip the beans and rice, but that just leaves more room for more of the delicious stuff. Beef, chicken, or fajita veggies will all work just fine with your keto.
Keto Diet-Compatible Dinner Options at Fuzzy’s
The same fillings as for tacos and burrito bowls are available on a platter. If you prefer your fajita fillings on a plate, order it this way.
Breakfast at Fuzzy’s for Low Carb Diets
Breakfast food makes it easy for keto-eaters: eggs, bacon, cheese, sausage; it’s all keto-delicious, Just take a pass on the carb-y wrap and you’re golden. No exact carb counts for modified orders.
Egg & Cheese Taco, includes shell (15 net carbs) Add bacon, shrimp or chorizo for 0 extra carbs. (19-32g fat, 15-25g protein)
Keto-Friendly Drink Options at Fuzzy’s
Water, coffee or diet soda if you can’t resist. Fuzzy’s serves alcohol, so a light beer will run you about 5 net carbs. If you’re celebrating, it shouldn’t wreck your keto.
You never have to feel like you’re missing out, and a taco shop proves this rule. Always remember that fast food should not comprise a major portion of any healthy diet.