Fuddruckers Keto Options for Low Carb Diets
It all started back in 1979 in an old converted bank in San Antonio, Texas. Phillip Romano thought the world needed a better burger, and so he set out to make it happen. Romano was doing something completely different at the time. He owned a couple of karate schools, but he sold them in order to devote himself to getting started in the restaurant biz.
The original location was called Freddie Fuddruckers and contrary to urban legend, it was not named after an eccentric friend of Romano’s. It was actually a joke about a joke: a phony airline called Fudpuckers. (By the way, if Romano’s name sounds familiar, it should. He left the company in 1988 to found the Macaroni Grill.)
Trivia time: In 2006, Fuddruckers put the world’s largest commercially available burger on the menu at Foxwoods casino in Connecticut. It was 18 1/2 inches wide and 8 inches thick, weighed almost 30 pounds, and cost $250. It didn’t stay on the menu for long.
Fuddruckers jumped on the exotic meat bandwagon early, and started offering things like buffalo, wild boar and elk years ago. You can still order them, although availability varies from location to location.
Fuddruckers takes its motto “Building the World’s Greatest Burger” seriously. Their meat is always fresh, never frozen, the burgers are grilled to order, and you can get one made just about any way you want.
There are over 100 locations in the US, and several more around the world, including in Mexico, Chile, Italy, Lebanon, and Saudi Arabia.
Some of Fuddruckers nutrition info is listed online, but they’re a little stingy with it so read on. We’ve compiledyour best bets right here.
Low Carb Burgers at Fuddruckers
Getting to enjoy a big, juicy burger guilt-free is one of the benefits of eating keto. Fuddruckers has joined the low carb movement and will serve your burger on lettuce rather than a bun. Order a Caesar side salad in place of the fries and you’re golden.
A plain burger has 0 net carbs. You can order anything from a 1/4 lb. up to a full pound. Fat counts range from 30-112g; protein will range from 21-65g. Although you’re welcome to build your own masterpiece, Fuddruckers has suggestions for those who aren’t feeling inspired. Below are the best low-carb options on the menu.
- Bacon Cheddar (1 net carb) One of the top reasons to eat keto.
- Three Cheese (1 net carb) Cheddar, Provolone and Swiss. Is there such a thing as too much cheese?
- Green chili (1 net carb) Fuddruckers recently won a blind taste test at the New Mexico State fair for this one.
- Southwest (2 net carbs) Guacamole, bacon, and Pepper Jack cheese make this one a keto winner.
- Hangover (3 net carbs) With bacon, Cheddar and a fried egg, it should be called the ‘Hangover Cure.’
Keto-Friendly Toppings at Fuddruckers
The things that turn your regular burger into the world’s greatest.
- Bacon, 2 slices (0 net carbs, 9g fat, 5g protein)
- Mayo, 1 tbsp (0 net carbs, 11g fat, 0g protein)
- Mild Cheddar (0 net carbs, 7g fat, 5g protein)
- Pepper Jack Cheese (0 net carbs)
- Monterey Jack Cheese (0 net carbs, 7g fat, 5g protein)
- Bleu Cheese Crumbles (0 net carbs)
- Monterey Jack & Cheddar blend (1 net carb, 9g fat, 7g protein)
- Swiss Cheese (1 net carb, 6g fat, 6g protein)
- Guacamole (2 net carbs)
- Grilled Mushrooms (2 net carbs)
- American Cheese, 2 slices (4 net carbs, 6g fat, 4g protein)
Sauces to pass on: cheese (6 net carbs), honey mustard (5 net carbs), BBQ (9 net carbs).
Exotics at Fuddruckers for Keto Eaters
These aren’t available at every location, but you might get lucky.
- Kobe Burger (0 net carbs)
- Buffalo Burger (2 net carbs)
- Elk Burger (2 net carbs)
Keto-Compatible Hot Dogs at Fuddruckers
Not in the mood for a burger? The hotdog without the bun works fine for keto. Exact carb counts not available, but it won’t be more than a few. If you go for the chili, add 5 net carbs. Cheese adds 0 net.
Low Carb Chicken and More at Fuddruckers
If you’re not feeling the call of the burger, Fuddruckers has steak, poultry, and even fish. Nutrition information not available for all items.
- Turkey burger (0 net carbs)– Add Swiss cheese for 1 only net carb. (17g fat, 21g protein)
- GrilledChicken breast (0 net carbs, 4.5g fat, 33g protein)
- Ribeye Steak Sandwich, no bread (1 net carb)
- Bacon and Swiss with Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Buffalo Chicken
- Grilled Green Chili Chicken
- Grilled Tilapia
Salads at Fuddruckers on the Ketogenic Diet
If you’re in the mood for more greens and less meat, Fuddruckers has you covered. Most of the salads are keto-compatible, the exceptions being anything with fruit or beans (namely, Power Kale, Napa Valley and Southwest). Pass on any carb-y additions like croutons or toast and you’ll be fine. No exact carb counts available for the salads or the dressings. Stick with the safe ones: Caesar, Ranch, Bleu Cheese and Spicy Ranch.
- Bacon Avocado – Bacon, cheese, eggs and avocados are all keto-tastic.
- Caesar – A keto classic, you can add chicken and make this a complete meal.
- Cobb – Another keto staple, the bacon, chicken blue cheese, avocado and hard boiled eggs will fill you up.
- Grilled Chicken – A lighter option if you’re looking for something simple.
Keto-Friendly Appetizers at Fuddruckers
Wings, 6 (10 net carbs) In case you need more than just a burger.
What to Drink at Fuddruckers for Low Carb Dieters
Water, coffee, tea, unsweetened iced tea or diet soda if you can’t resist. Fuddruckers has a Coke Freestyle machine, so you have plenty of diet choices.
Keto eaters should always get to enjoy eating out, and a gourmet burger joint is just the ticket. It’s important to remember that while eating large amounts of meat is fun, this kind of food is high in calories but low on nutrition and should only be indulged in rarely.