Denny’s Low Carb Options for the Keto Diet
America loves breakfast and Denny’s loves to serve it up. Open 24 hours, reasonable prices, free kids’ meals, and a reduced-price menu for the 55+ crowd, Denny’s works hard to earn the reputation of ‘America’s Diner.’
Strange but true fact: Denny’s is open virtually 24/7, but back in 1988, with their restaurants slated to close for Christmas Day, they discovered a problem. Over half of their 1,200+ locations had no keys, and in some cases, they didn’t even have locks. Locksmiths across the country were kept busy that December.
Denny’s is famous for its Grand Slam. In case you were wondering, the breakfast platter was created in 1977 as a tribute to Hank Aaron who retired from the Atlanta Braves that year.
In 2009 and 2010, Denny’s offered a free Grand Slam for one day following the Super Bowl. (Why the Super Bowl and not the World Series is anybody’s guess.) They served 4 million Grand Slams — and then called it quits.
Any place that serves breakfast is going to be a slam-dunk for keto eaters (we’re getting all the sports into this one), so sit back and relax. Denny’s lists their nutrition information online, and their calculator is okay, but it doesn’t allow you to subtract items, such as taking the bun off the burger. Use the guide below to find your best bets.
Build Your Own Grand Slam for the Keto Diet
Available any time of the day or night.
- Sausage, 2 links (0 net carbs)
- Bacon, 2 strips (1 net carb)
- Turkey Bacon, 2 strips (1 net carb)
- Eggs, 2 (1 net carb)
- Egg Whites, 2 (1 net carb)
- Gouda-Apple Chicken Sausage, 1 link (2 net carbs)
- Grilled Ham, 3 oz. (3 net carbs)
Keto-Friendly Omelettes at Denny’s
- Ham & Cheese Omelette, no bread or hash browns (7 net carbs)
- Loaded Veggie Omelette, no bread or hash browns (7 net carbs)
- Ultimate Omelette®, no bread or hash browns (8 net carbs)
- Philly Cheese Steak Omelette, no bread or hash browns (11 net carbs)
Low Carb Skillets at Denny’s
No exact carb counts available, but all will be below 10 net carbs if you leave off the potatoes. Add eggs when possible to improve your macros.
- Crazy Spicy – Spicy chorizo sausage, grilled chicken, cheese, jalapeños, veggies.
- Smoky Gouda Chicken & Broccoli, no rice – Ask to substitute extra broccoli for the rice. Also available with prime rib rather than chicken.
- Fit Fare® Veggie – Broccoli is great for keto, and this one contains egg whites rather than whole eggs if you’re looking to save on calories.
- Santa Fe – Sausage, cheese and veggies, this one already comes with eggs.
- Supreme – The veggies are a little on the carb-y side, but there won’t be enough to kill your keto.
Burgers at Denny’s for Keto Dieters
Most of the burgers without the bun will be fine. The thing to look out for are the syrupy sauces: Sriracha and Bourbon are too sugary, but you have plenty of other options to choose from.
No exact carb counts available not including the bun. Keep in mind that most of their burgers weigh in around 1,000 calories.
- Bacon Gouda Burger
- Double Cheeseburger
- Bacon Avocado Cheeseburger
- Slamburger™ – A burger with bacon, egg and cheese? Yum.
- Build Your Own – Cheese, bacon, avocado and egg toppings are all keto-compatible.
Keto-Compatible Classics & Steaks at Denny’s
No exact carb counts available. Pass on the garlic bread and choose keto-compatible sides like broccoli, zucchini and squash.
- Sirloin Steak, 8 oz.
- Wild Alaska Salmon
- Tilapia Ranchero
- Mediterranean Grilled Chicken
- T-Bone Steak
Denny’s Fit Fare® for Low Carb Diets
The Fit Fare® menu will save you calories, although it’s not entirely clear what they have done differently to the recipe, and hidden things like modified food starch may lurk. Still, given that Denny’s food is high in calories, it probably won’t be worse for you to order from this menu. Choices are taken from the regular menu, including items like Tilapia Ranchero, steak, salmon, etc.
Keto-Friendly Salads at Denny’s
Filling up on fiber and micronutrients is never a bad idea.
- Avocado Chicken Caesar, 16 oz. (8 net carbs)
- Prime Rib Cobb, no dressing (12 net carbs)
Low Carb Dressings at Denny’s
- Caesar, 1.5 oz. (0 net carbs)
- Ranch, 1.5 oz, (1 net carb)
- Buffalo Sauce, 2 oz. (2 net carbs)
- Blue Cheese, 1.5 oz. (3 net carbs)
- Fat-Free Italian, 1.5 oz. (4 net carbs)
Keto-Compatible Condiments at Denny’s
- Whipped Margarine, 1 tsp. (0 net carbs)
- Brown Gravy, 1 oz. (2 net carbs)
- Sour Cream, 1.5 oz. (2 net carbs)
What to Drink at Denny’s on the Ketogenic Diet
Water, coffee (hot or iced, unsweetened, creamer contains 1 net carb), hot herbal or caffeinated tea, unsweetened iced tea, or diet soda if it’s calling to you. Denny’s serves Coke products.
Eating out isn’t off-limits with keto, and places like Denny’s makes it easy to enjoy yourself. Always remember that fast food is calorie-dense but often nutrient-poor and should not comprise a major portion of any healthy diet.