Cracker Barrel Keto Options for Low Carb Diets
What do an ox yoke, a cookstove, a deer head, a traffic light and horseshoe have in common? They are all items you’ll find at any Cracker Barrel.
The feeling of nostalgia is strong when you enter a Cracker Barrel; even their online nutrition information has a checkered border. In case you’re wondering where they came up with such a name, a cracker barrel is the 19th century version of the water cooler, a place where people would hang out and chat. Everything about the place is designed to recall a slower, simpler time in American history, like those rocking chairs on the front porch. A best seller, and all made by the same company in Tennessee. They produce about 200,000 every year just for Cracker Barrel. Another big seller? Sock monkeys. Also made in the USA (Ozark, Missouri, to be precise).
Cracker Barrel serves traditional American cuisine and dishes up 11 million servings of chicken ’n dumplings every year! Like many restaurants, Cracker Barrel lists itsonline, but you can find your best bets for keto right here.
Keto-Friendly Breakfast at Cracker Barrel
Keto eaters always have lots of options when it comes to breakfast food. Eggs, bacon, sausage, they’re all keto-delicious.
- Eggs, 2 (2 net carbs, 10g fat, 14g protein)
- Egg Whites (2 net carbs, 0g fat, 11g protein)
- Bacon, 3 slices (0 net carbs, 16g fat, 15g protein)
- Smoked Sausage, 2 patties (0.5 net carbs, 17g fat, 14g protein)
- Sugar-Cured Ham (0.5 net carbs, 7g fat, 24g protein) – Despite its name, it’s safe for keto.
- Turkey Sausage, 2 patties (1 net carb, 6g fat, 13g protein)
- Country Ham (1 net carb, 13g fat, 33g protein)
- Grilled Southwest Sausage, 1 link (3 net carbs, 22g fat, 10g protein)
Two eggs with grits will run you 17 net carbs. A little high, but if you’re celebrating and have a hankering, it shouldn’t kill your keto.
- Hamburger Steak, 8 oz. (0 net carbs, 33g fat, 33g protein)
- Catfish Fillet, grilled (0.5 net carbs, 5g fat, 9g protein)
- Grilled Pork Chop (0 net carbs, 13g fat, 35g protein)
- Hickory Smoked Ham (1 net carb, 13g fat, 33g protein)
Low Carb Lunch & Dinner Options at Cracker Barrel
Plenty of keto options off the regular menu, but if one of the specials catches your eye, just use common sense and stick to basics like meat, green vegetables and cheese. Don’t be afraid to ask about breading and sauces that sound sugary, and when in doubt, leave it out.
- Grilled Country Pork Chops, 2 (0 net carbs, 25g fat, 70g protein)
- Lemon Pepper Grilled Rainbow Trout, 2 (0.5 net carbs, 14g fat, 43g protein)
- Rib Eye Steak, 10 oz. (0 net carbs, 47g fat, 52g protein) Ask for the house salad without crackers.
- Grilled Sirloin Steak (0 net carbs, 20g fat, 53g protein)
- Lemon Pepper Grilled Rainbow Trout (0.5 net carbs, 14g fat, 43g protein)
- Grilled Chicken Tenderloins, no sauce (5 net carbs, 6g fat, 37g protein)
- Chile Jack Chicken (12 net carbs, 18g fat, 56g protein)
- Haddock (13 net carbs, 15g fat, 49g protein)
Vegetable Sides at Cracker Barrel for the Ketogenic Diet
- Turnip Greens (2 net carbs, 4g fat, 10g protein)
- Boiled Cabbage (4 net carbs, 5g fat, 2g protein)
- Country Green Beans (4 net carbs, 3g fat, 1g protein)
- Steamed Broccoli (2 net carbs, 0g fat, 4g protein)
Low Carb Cracker Barrel Salads
Always a great way to add fiber and micronutrients to your diet. Take a pass on all croutons, crackers and other bread-y things, like fried chicken. No exact carb counts available for modified items.
- Mixed Green Side Salad (1 net carb, 0g fat, 1g protein)
- Southern Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad
- Grilled Chicken Salad
- Country Chef Salad
Keto-Compatible Dressings at Cracker Barrel
All counts are for the 2.5 oz. entrée salad. The side or house salad comes with a 2 oz. serving, so adjust down slightly if you order one of these.
- Buttermilk Caesar (2.5 net carbs, 29g fat, 3g protein)
- Blue Cheese (3 net carbs, 32g fat, 3g protein)
- Buttermilk Ranch (3 net carbs, 25g fat, 1g protein)
- Fat-Free Italian (4 net carbs, 0g fat, 0g protein) Not a top pick for keto, but the balsamic vinaigrette is way too sugary.
Miscellaneous Menu Items at Cracker Barrel for Keto Dieters
- Butter, pat (0 net carbs, 4g fat, 0g protein)
- Colby Cheese Shreds, 1 oz. (0 net carbs, 5g fat, 0.5g protein)\
- Green Chilies (0 net carbs, 0g fat, 0g protein)
- Bacon Pieces, 0.5 oz. (0.5 net carbs, 6g fat, 5g protein)
- Sour Cream, packet (0.5 net carbs, 5g fat, 0.5g protein)
- Tartar Sauce (2 net carbs, 14g fat, 0.5g protein)
- Brown Gravy (1 net carb,2.5g fat, 0g protein)
- Turkey Gravy (2 net carbs, 0.5g fat, 0.5g protein)
- Sawmill Gravy (3 net carbs, 2.5g fat, 1g protein)
- Cottage Cheese (7 net carbs, 6g fat, 17g protein)
- Hush Puppy, each (7 net carbs, 2.5g fat, 0.5g protein)
Ketogenic Diet-Friendly Soups at Cracker Barrel
Not a typical keto pick, but low enough to consider if it’s cold outside.
- Turkey Noodle, cup (7.5 net carbs, 4.5g fat, 9g protein)
- Chicken Noodle, cup (9.5 net carbs, 4g fat, 7g protein)
What to Drink at Cracker Barrel to Keep Your Keto
Your old standbys of water, coffee, hot or unsweetened iced tea are going to be your best options. In the diet soda category, you can have Diet Coke, Diet Dr. Pepper, or Stewart’s Diet Root Beer.
Nothing is more comforting than eating together, and you can absolutely stick to your keto diet while dining out. Always remember that fast food tends to be high in calories and does not necessarily have the healthiest ingredients. It should not be eaten on a regular basis.