Applebee’s Low Carb Options for the Keto Diet
A crowd-pleasing casual restaurant, you could say Applebee’s theme is food, fun and friends without funneling away all your funds. Started in Georgia in the 1980s, Applebee’s has nearly 2,000 locations worldwide. Applebee’s is owned by the same parent company as IHOP, and how the two combined is an interesting story. Julia Stewart started waitressing at IHOP as a teenager, eventually working her way up to become the president of Applebee’s. When she got passed over for CEO, she became CEO of IHOP instead and engineered the takeover of Applebee’s.
Applebee’s offers burgers and steaks so you know you can eat here, but as with any time you eat out, it’s best to be prepared. Applebee’s nutrition information is available as a PDF (scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and click on ‘nutrition’), but since the menu is extensive, it means a lot of squinting and scrolling to find the relevant info. Read on to find your best options.
Low Carb Appetizers at Applebee’s
Wings are usually a good bet for keto, but Applebee’s are actually a little high in carbs (10 net) so unless you’re making these your main course, you’ll be better off going with a salad.
Pass on the croutons, but the Caesar, House, or Green Goddess Wedge Salad are all keto-compatible. You can add grilled chicken for zero carbs.
The salad dressing is the real danger zone, so steer clear of anything that sounds sweet and ask for it on the side no matter which one you choose. Keep in mind, many of the main course salads weigh in at 1000 calories or more.
Applebee’s Keto-Friendly Salad Dressings
- Lemon Olive Oil Vinaigrette (0 net carbs, 14g fat, 0g protein)
- Green Goddess (2 net carbs, 20g fat, 1g protein)
- Bleu Cheese (3 net carbs, 22g fat, 1g protein)
- Buttermilk Ranch (3 net carbs, 20g fat, 1g protein)
- Garlic Caesar (3 net carbs, 22g fat, 1g protein)
- Mexi Ranch (3 net carbs, 14g fat, 1g protein)
Entrees at Applebee’s for the Ketogenic Diet
A piece of meat and a green vegetable like broccoli always work for keto. Since the sauces often have hidden sugar and other carbs, hold the sauce or order it on the side.
- Baby Back Ribs, no sauce (0 net carbs, 32g fat, 35g protein) A full rack will cost you 1 carb and double the fat and protein.
- Grilled Chicken Breast (0 net carbs, 4g fat, 38g protein)
- Sirloin, 6 or 8 oz. (1 net carb, 7-12g fat, 33-43g protein)
- Bourbon Street Steak (1 net carb, 35g fat, 49g protein)
- Shrimp ’n Parmesan Sirloin (4 net carbs, 42g fat, 57g protein)
- Burgers, no bun (1 net carb, 39g fat, 40g protein) Applebee’s offers a triple bacon version. Sometimes it’s absolutely fantastic to be a keto-eater. Add bacon, cheese, a fried egg or an extra patty for a max of 1 extra carb.
Low Carb Meal Add-Ons at Applebee’s
- Grilled Shrimp Skewer (0 net carbs, 9g fat, 8g protein) Note that this is different from the plain ‘grilled shrimp’ which has 4 net carbs.
- Shrimp ’n Parm Topper (4 net carbs, 31g fat, 14g protein)
- Grilled Onions (4 net carbs, 2.5g fat, 1g protein) Not a usual choice for keto, but acceptably low in carbs if you’ve got a taste for them.
- Sauteed Garlic Mushrooms (5 net carbs, 19g fat, 3g protein)
Keto-Compatible Sides at Applebee’s
- Steamed Broccoli (3 net carbs, 8g fat, 3g protein)
- Fire-Grilled Veggies (6 net carbs, 12g fat, 2g protein)
Garlicky Green Beans come in little high at 8 net carbs.
Soups at Applebee’s for Low Carb Dieters
Not a typical pick for keto, these do contain some carbs but are low enough to not kill your keto. These are also available as part of the ‘lunch combos’ menu.
- Broccoli Cheese (10 net carbs, 22g fat, 11g protein)
- Chili (10 net carbs, 25g fat, 34g protein)
- New England Clam Chowder (11 net carbs, 13g fat, 5g protein)
- Loaded Potato (11 net carbs, 13g fat, 9g protein)
Keto-Friendly Drinks at Applebee’s
Water, coffee, hot tea, unsweetened iced tea, and SoBe Life Water are all zero or low-carb. Applebee’s also serves Pepsi and Coke products if you feel the siren call of the diet soda.
Applebee’s is just one of the many places that proves that eating out while sticking to your keto diet can be fun and satisfying. Always remember that fast food is high in calories and not necessarily the best quality ingredients and should not be consumed on a regular basis.